Saturday, February 6, 2016

9 Lessons for my daughters

Things I want my daughters to know


There are all kinds of things a person should know before adulthood: how to fry an egg, how to change a tire, how to do perfect winged eye liner (sorry, girls,  mom still doesn't know that one). Some lessons are more important than others though.

9 Lessons for My Daughters:

  1. Protect your credit. Pay your bills on time. Put responsibilities before fun. I know I haven't always been the best model of this, because it wasn't modeled for me, but just this once, do as I say, not as I do. Don't make my mistakes. The shoes you want today aren't as important as what they will cost you tomorrow.
  2. You don't have to marry. Or have kids. Or do it in that order. Be responsible, and be responsible for yourself and your happiness. Marriage is not for everyone. Your value is more than your virginity, a ring on your hand, or your last name.
  3. Marry well, if you do marry. I don't mean marry wealthy. I mean marry someone who treats you well, who will support you, and encourage you to chase your dreams. Whoever he or she is, make sure they love you, that they make you happy, and make you want to be a better person.
  4. No one has the right to make you feel like less. Less than amazing. Less than perfect. Less than genius. Less than beautiful. They may tell you you are lazy, worthless, stupid, ugly, fat, untalented. Do not believe them, even if they claim to love you. Even if you love them. They are wrong. Those are their issues speaking, not yours. They don't have the right to make you feel that way, no matter who they are. You are amazing.
  5. You don't have the right to make anyone else feel like less, either. The world is a hard place, and a lot of people are sad, alone, hurting, even if they seem happy on the outside. Don't add to their pain.
  6. Sorry doesn't fix things. Sorry doesn't take away a cruel word or an unkind deed. 
  7. An apology is only sincere if it is followed by change. If someone says sorry today, nd does the same thing tomorrow, he or she is not sorry. They only want you to stop being mad. Sorry without change is meaningless, especially from someone who is supposed to love you. You don't have to accept those empty apologies. You don't have to stop being angry. There are few mental abuses more painful than when someone hurts you, and then apologizes and says they love you, just to fi it again. It is wrong. It is abuse. And you deserve better.
  8. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You are kind, talented, and intelligent. You deserve love and kindness and happiness and the best the world has to offer. You are perfect, just as you are.
  9. I love you. I will always love you. You can always come to me. I will always believe you. I will always fight for you.  I will always put you first. I will always be proud of you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment