Sunday, January 24, 2016

Awesome Mom: Small Victories in the World of Parenting

Small Victories in the World of Parenting

The time I became the Awesome Mom




Today, I discovered that, in my daughter's circle of friends, I'm the awesome mom.


My interest was piqued. In my experience, growing up, the 'cool' mom was the one who let her kids drink, smoke, hold raucous parties, and stay out all night. I don't allow any of that.

I had to know.




What, exactly, makes an awesome mom?

I'm feeling myself today

  • According to D, all of her friends think I'm pretty (I've never considered myself more than cute). Superficial, perhaps, but  I let myself bask in it for a few moments.


  • I'm pro-gay-rights. Apparently, my refusal to touch a chikfila scored big points, along with my willingness to perform gay marriages.
Gay rights makes me a super-mom?
Score one for civil rights


  • I don't care what color her hair is, as long as it doesn't get her kicked out of school, even though I don't think hair color has ANY impact on learning.
mommyneedsavodkabreak believes in self expression
Self-expression: Jada would be proud




Restrictions? Who knew?!?
Mostly, though, I care.

According to D, it matters that I let my children express them selves (i.e. " You let me wear whatevs"), but I don't allow anything illegal or harmful.

I'm pleased to know that, amongst the list of things that modern teenagers consider awesome, a parent who cares and has restrictions is awesome.





Getting it right? Victory!



Just give me my star already


I think, as parents, we all question if we are doing the right things, if we are doing well. Especially in the turbulent teenage years. While I've never thought my daughters hated me, I've wondered if, perhaps I've failed to given them all of myself, or if they resented my long hours, the additional children, or my brash ways and outspoken style.










It's wonderful to know that, for the time being at least, I'm an awesome mom. (Jada would be so proud!)

Fireworks.  It felt like fireworks
Yup, this is pretty much what it felt like


What were your Parenting Victories this week?